Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Holi Festival of Colors

Today was the Holi Festival of Colors, and when they say colors they aren't kidding! Rich stayed home with Russell and Graham while Isaac and I went to the district youth Holi activity.

Elder Jackson (our area authority seventy!) had rented two big trucks for $20 and a drummer for $2 to come along for the ride. Each truck had three garbage cans full of colored water and we all piled in the trucks and used water guns (pichkaris), garbage sacks, and garbage can lids to pelt each other with bright colors! I had my cell phone and camera in my pockets and soon realized that wasn't such a good idea after getting drenched with purple and then pink colored water!

We rode around for a while drenching each other, stopping at several members' homes to share in the fun. Then we stopped at several parks to play games with colored powder. Isaac was such a great sport, especially as the youngest kid there, and enjoyed it all as long as I was nearby. He only got upset when someone smeared pink powder on his face and it got in his eye.

Here's the whole group when we called it quits. We were so colorful our driver almost wouldn't let us in the car.

We realized that Indian complexions look much better with the colors . . .

and Indian complexions also hide the color stains much better too! This is Isaac after much scrubbing. My toenails are still purple and I've got spots of purple all over after my scrubbing. But it was great fun. Yet another thing you'd only find in this wonderfully weird country!

No comments: