Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Who Are You Guys?

Hello people out there reading our blog. Recently we've been using statcounter.com to track how many people are reading our blog. There's a lot of you! The statcounter also tracks other details like location and referring page. The odd thing is that some of you are reading from places where I don't think I know anybody, like Moscow and Helsinki and Poland and Alabama. And there's links to our blog from sites I didn't even know existed.

Frankly, it makes me feel a bit creepy and nervous to post things lately because I'm not sure who's reading now. I don't think I'm ready to make the blog private just yet--I like sharing it with people who are interested. But knowing how many people are anonymously reading makes me feel oddly disconnected from human connections and reality. Feels kinda like when I thought it would be fun to get up with Graham in my arms and run that silly race with the Indian flag at the India-Pakistan border ceremony. And it was fun . . . until I sat down and realized that thousands of people had watched me and laughed at me and wanted their picture taken with me later. And then I watched the video Rich took of me, and was totally mortified. Okay, so blogging isn't quite that mortifying, but sort of. It's just that when I first started blogging I knew just my family and a handful of friends were reading, and that was fine. Now that it appears to be a boatload of strangers, I'm not so sure about it anymore.

Anyway, I'm on a new crusade myself to leave more comments when I read people's blogs so they know I'm there and so I make more personal connections. I invite ya'll to do the same. I'd love to know who you are and what you think of our blog. And that way if we do decide to make it private, we can be sure to invite you.

Currently the boys and I are in New Zealand with Gurney grandparents soaking up the sand and the sun outside their door. Heavenly. Would be perfect if Rich were here with us. But that darn job that makes this all possible unfortunately requires him to actually work every day! I'm grateful for his hard work.

Today we went to a beautiful and wild surfer beach west of Hamilton called "Whale Beach" where the waves were giant and the black sand like quicksand. Isaac and Russell finally caught onto the wonder of the waves (Graham was hooked from the start) and were giddy with the water knocking them over. We hadn't planned to get in the water because we were in skirts and pants from the temple (that didn't happen . . . it was closed). But before we knew it, the ocean had other plans, and we were all wet and had to ride home two hours in our underwear! The McDonald's drive-thru people are probably still laughing!

19 comments:

Melissa said...

Merinda, I'll comment! This Mel, Melissa Lowe, the former Melissa Blockburger. I've been peeking at our blog occasionally since you sent me a Christmas card a year or two ago. I still can't believe you are in India! I'm still outside of Dallas, in Mansfield. I'm enjoying your adventures!

Erin said...

I'll comment on your blog if you'll comment on mine! Wish I were in New Zealand too.

Carrie said...

Hey Mindy! I love to check in on y'all and see what you are doing. You are more than welcome to put a link to my blog on yours, and if you want me to take off the one I have to yours just let me know. Well, Linc & I have actually discussed when we could come visit you guys in India. I'm not sure how long you'll be there, but we will definitely wait until the Pulsipher mania has subsided before we would impose. We don't want to be just some more Pulsipher's after all. . . I do wish we lived closer and could get to know each other better in this new phase in our lives . . . from the little I've seen of you I already look-up to you so much as a mother. Good to hear from you!

Bbells said...

I am Brittney, Fashion's cousin. I really love your blog. In fact i may sound like a stalker but i literally spent an hour looking at all your adventures in India while at work!! I kept getting mad when people would call or interrupt. It's funny that all your stories sound exactly like Fashion's in El Salvador, must be chaotic in all 3rd World countries....but i guess thats what to love about them, never a dull moment!

V said...

Hi Mindy! Guilty as charged...Amy told me about your blog a month ago and since then I've been an addict. Hearing about your adventures in India is SO fascinating! I think you and Rich are both very brave.
But (back to the subject) I haven't shared your blog with anyone else....

Merinda Cutler said...

Dear Erin,
I temporarily lost your blog address. I guess if I'm not commenting on others' blogs, I can't expect them to comment on mine! You are one of the very best about commenting. Thanks for staying connected with me. Going to comment on your blog now. xo

Merinda Cutler said...

Mel! (Wish I could type it upside down in cursive . . .) I'm so happy to know you are out there. I think about you every time I use chapstic. And I go to Dallas all the time to visit Rich's parents (okay, once a year . . . but we usually only go to America once a year!), so we should get together next time we go (summer or Christmas--jury's still out on that one). Do you have a blog? How many kids do you have these days? I'd love to read about your adventures . . .

Merinda Cutler said...

Dear Carrie/Caroline (which do you prefer?), Have you read The Namesake? I'm in the middle of it right now. It reminds me of those of us who've "switched" our names as we move through life. My Mindy/Merinda thing still befuddles lots of people, including myself sometimes. I'm honored to have a link on your blog. I'm so happy to hear that you are discussing a visit to India with Lincoln. We plan to live there until Spring 2010, though you never know what could happen, so better to come sooner than later. Best time to come is October to March. Let's keep in touch. I plan to come visit you in Seattle someday (after you move there)!

Merinda Cutler said...

Dear Valerie, I'm so glad to hear you're checking out our blog, and I'm fine for you to share it with anyone you like. I think I was just having a bad day--feeling disconnected and isolated from everyone in the world, and feeling sad that so many people are reading but not saying a word. So I'm glad you spoke up. I really enjoyed visiting with your parents when they came to India. They were so sweet to my kids--Isaac still talks about "Stan the Man" and the unbelievable stories he told him. Do you have a blog? If so, I wanna read it!

Merinda Cutler said...

Brittney, I'm glad to provide some entertainment for you. Funny how that world wide web connects us. I haven't talked to Fashion since freshman year and only just discovered we were leading parallel lives as expatriates. Cheers! Merinda

Melissa said...

Merinda, You can email me at missybeth@gmail.com
I'm not cool enough for my own blog but I flickr. You can find me and my FOUR kids at flickr.com/photos/bigpickles

Katie said...

Hello Mindy,
I'm in Katy and we LOVE your blog. We just can't wait to see what Rich et.al. do next. We love you tons and miss you bunches. Squeeeze your parents and the boys for us.

Alonso Family said...

I'll still call you Mindy if you don't mind, since that was your name when we were more involved in each other lives. I am quickly becoming addicted to this blogging stuff since I finally started mine just under 3 months ago.

I will tell you right now, quite a few members of my family and friends visit your blog and love it as much as I do. They comment to me all the time about how fun it is to read. I will tell them next time to pass on those comments directly to you.

I am guilty of reading and not commenting on others sites like Fashion's website since I found out about it through Aby. I need to give that girl a shout out next time I am there. Good Times, Thanks for sharing them.

Much Love!

Maitri said...

Hi Merinda,
My name is Maitri and I am from India. I have been studying and living in Iowa for past 4 years. I found a link to your blog from Smith family's blog while doing some research on foreigners living and working in India. Being an Indian myself and having lived in US, I can relate to the things you are experiencing. I have been reading your blog occasionally for some time now. It is really interesting to know what people think about India. What can I say, I just love reading about your daily adventures.

Sorensen Family said...

Okay, so Ive looked at your blog a few times and you probably dont know who I am...but I am Corrie's sister in law and I clicked on yours from her blog! I actually love reading your blog because you and your husband have such a way of journaling your lives in words that it is so fun to read. Hope you dont mind if we visit!

Katie said...

Hi Merinda and Rich! I'm reading your blog, and after just three days in Sydney, my respect for what you are doing living and doing has increased ten-fold. Taking young kids overseas and figuring out how to live, shop, eat, etc. is challenging in a country as similar to the US as Australia, so what you are doing is truly amazing to me. Life changing experiences for you and your boys, but it will probably be nice for you to someday get back "home." (Wherever that home ends up being!) Thanks for all the updates--we love them!

Katie

ryanziwi said...

Hey Mindy,
That's cool that you're in NZ. I'm still living in Hamilton with my wife Eliza and son Peter. I think I caught onto your blog site when emails were going around about a Madrigal reunion a couple of years ago. I love to pop in and read about your adventures every once and a while.
If you make it back to Hamilton while in NZ, I'd love to catch up. (07) 843-5267. Ryan Thomsen

Aby Runyan said...

Aby Runyan in Kansas City, MO present and accounted for!
This blogging thing really is wierd Mindy (I choose to call you that too like Corrie because well, I just don't feel like changing). I've been amazed at how quickly you link up with lost friends and such.
luvs ya tons!

caitlin said...

Hi,
I found your blog (and have really enjoyed reading it) when I found out my husband's job is transferring him (us) to Delhi in September. I'm relieved to see you survived with small children. Come September, my boys will be 3 1/2 and 8 months. Any advice for us with small kids? I've been abroad since 2002 in France, New Caledonia and Reunion (my husband's French) but I don't think anything will prepare us for Delhi.