Thursday, March 27, 2008

Stuff We Stuff in Our Suitcases from America

I'm a list girl. I make lists for everything. I have visions of my great-grandchildren finding my old notebooks with all my lists in them and finding them fascinating. Delusional? Maybe.

Yet one of my favorite books is A Midwife's Tale: The Life of Martha Ballard, Based on Her Diary 1785. I know. It sounded boring to me at first glance too, but I loved it. The diary itself was essentially a list of the things she did everyday--where she went, who visited her, what she was cooking, what she was planting, what the weather was like. But the way the author looks at the entries as a whole, we learn a lot about life during that time and about the simple grandeur of this woman. I found it rather validating as a regular wife and homemaker.

So maybe if someone as talented as Laurel Thatcher Ulrich ever gets a hold of my lists, they could write it up and win a Pulitzer Prize too!

Below is a list that gets re-written over and over at our house: a list of stuff we can't get here, but think we can't live without (or can't afford here--imported American cereal costs $8 a box!). Perhaps it will illuminate some of the everyday realities of our life in India.

Ziploc Bags
Dryer Sheets
Oxiclean
Peanut Butter
Marshmallows
Rice Krispies/Chex
Chocolate Chips
Molasses
Mapleine (for making syrup)
Food Coloring (not sure what's in the local stuff . . .)
Sugar
Brown Sugar
Peanut M&Ms
Goldfish Crackers
Pretzels
Tortilla Chips
Canned Green Chilies
Corn Tortilla Mix
Yeast
Pectin (just learned how to make freezer jam from the domestic goddess Dawn!)
Seeds--tomatoes, basil, dill, sunflowers, cornflowers
Bacon
Yellow Cheddar Cheese
Mechanical Pencils
File Folders
Music CDs
DVDs
Underwear
Socks
Makeup
Deodorant
Mosquito Repellent
Sunscreen
Children's Chewable Tylenol & Motrin
Band-aids
Music Teaching Materials for Mindy
Gospel Teaching Materials
Engineering Books for Rich
Electronics Gadgets for iPods and Computers
Electronics for Rich's Work and Co-Workers
Legos
Swimsuits
Swim Toys

We're really good at ordering things online and having them sent right to your door, so why not book your ticket now for your dream trip to India? Then you can stuff some stuff in your suitcase as hostess gifts! We promise to help you take that suitcase home filled with more interesting stuff like textiles, jewelry, clothes, spices and carpets.

3 comments:

V said...

Hey Mindy, I loved this post. I am totally a list person too. I make 3 or 4 at least every day. (It also helps me not to waste precious time while Bradshaw is sleeping.)
It's also fascinating to know what you can & cannot find abroad. =)

Katie said...

I make great lists....and absolutely love checking things off....if only I could check off more than I put on!

Carrie said...

I love lists! It's so funny to see what's on your list. I hope I get to see you this summer as we will be in Utah too. And Laurel Ulrich was in my ward last year, her hub was our choir director an she played the piano. I think her story in interesting too. Must say I haven't read A Midwives Tale though, but I've heard good things.