Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!


So it's been a few years since we did a Christmas letter. Thus far, we have only sent a Christmas letter when we have a new baby to introduce. Christmas is here, but still no babies or Christmas cards in the mail from us. But if we had sent out a Christmas letter, this is what it would have said . . .

2009 was our first complete year living in the United States of America. We've been here so long that my passport expired six months ago and I didn't even notice! Public school and constant running water aren't so bad after all, but we miss our friends in Delhi and hope to get back there for a visit very soon.

We've been to 5 funerals in the past year, for both friends and family. Rich's mother passed away last year on December 14th after a long battle with breast cancer. We miss her more that we can say, but are grateful for the knowledge that we will see her again someday. Rich's grandfather, his mother's father, passed away a few weeks ago on December 9th. We were so blessed to have been able to spend some time with him before his death and connect with all the relatives we did at the funeral.

Rich has become quite the orator this year, with all the heartfelt church and funeral talks he's given. I think if we were members of a church with a paid clergy, he could be making some good money as a preacher. Instead, he has pounded a lot of nails renovating an attic, designing and building a giant deck and a rebuilding a fence. Though he's not quite finished with any of these projects (but almost!), he's let off a lot of steam, and had the lucky chance to work alongside his boys, relatives and willing friends. He flew the coop at Freescale a few months ago, and is now working for a tiny startup with big plans, some of which are top secret. . . .

Our boys showed up in "Friends in the News" in The Friend magazine in December along with other primary children of the New Delhi 1st Branch. Check it out!

Russell (6) lost his two front teeth, but Santa is hard at work growing him some new ones. Nearly all of his six-odd lost teeth have popped out while wrestling with his brothers. He loves to do jobs without Mom even asking, and playing make-believe with his little brother Graham. The magical world of reading has opened up for him this year, and it's so fun to see him delight in his new-found abilities. Lately he begs to jog to school over riding his bike. When I consent, I end up huffing and puffing alongside him because he's so fast!

Graham (4) enjoys ordering his mother around and waiting until the last minute to run to the potty. He's been going to Boy School (a co-op preschool) this year with four other wild and crazy boys, and has learned much. Our boy who used to insist his name was Graham Masala has now morphed into Super G, thanks to an awesome cape Aunt Nelee made for him. He's started riding his bike alongside his jogging family to school. His bike-riding pace just about exactly matches my slow jogging/walking pace. He has a twinkly grin and a happy giggle that can melt even the coldest heart.

Isaac (9) got glasses this year, which seems to be cool these days. He has built several things with a micro-controller, including some lights on a submarine model for school and an RFID device to make our Christmas tree light up when you walk by. He loves helping Daddy with all things technical, helping me cook things, and is a master at cheering me up when I need it. He loves the new deck and spends hours swinging on the swing, often with his nose in a Hardy Boys or Magic Treehouse book.

I have spent the year dabbling in food storage, music teaching, gardening, PTA, family history, sewing, Gospel Doctrine, blogging and exercising. I'm sporadic and unfinished with most projects, but they give me an excuse to avoid dishes and laundry. I've decided my approach to life makes me a Renaissance woman, which sounds much more romantic than a domestic engineer.

We celebrated our tenth anniversary last week. It's been a great ten years, full of all sorts of surprises, tragedies and delights. Yet all of these things—the good, the bad, and the ugly—have somehow worked together for our good. We are thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who knows our every need and leads us every day. May your year be filled with hope, family and good, growing things. We love and miss ya'll.

Love,
The Cutlers

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So wonderful to hear the 2009 recap. We miss you and wish we could enjoy you and your boys close-up. Happy New Year. With love and hugs --
JennieAuntJo

Nelee said...

That's a great letter! I always think I can't do a letter with my card because they are too cheesy, but then I LOVE reading everyone's Christmas letters.

Alonso Family said...

Domestic Goddess also sounds better then Domestic Engineer. Super cute family picture and what a fun update! Also, way cool to see your kiddos in The Friend even if they aren't in Delhi anymore, I believe their hearts will long be. Love ya and hope you had a great Christmas!

Erica and Dan Kiefer said...

I have loved reading your blog and hearing how your lives and family are growing and changing. Rich, I am terribly sorry to hear about your mom, I know she was an amazing woman and I still remember how your dad's eyes looked when he looked at HER, so many years ago. I do not have a blog, but want to send you a Christmas card...I need your address. My email is thomasshipley@hotmail.com. Ive missed you and think of you and your cute family often! Mindy, you are adorable, I love your writing style, you are a great match for Rich. Love you both!
Pawnee

Jeanie Anderson said...

So, I'm a little late in reading your Christmas letter, but I loved it. You are an awesome woman, and I am glad I know you. Someday I hope to see you again! - Jeanie