Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Running in the Rain

On Saturday we woke up at 5 am to drive to Brenham for the Blue Bell Fun Run. Why did we do this? To hang out with Grandpa, Aunt Katie, Uncle Dave, and Cousin Ellie on her 2nd birthday, of course!
And then, of course, there was the all-you-can-eat Blue Bell Ice Cream after the race!
The first race was the Kid's 1-Mile Run. Isaac and Russell were all set to go, and they bravely walked through the pouring rain to the starting line as thunder and lightning struck in the distance. Russell had the bad luck of standing in a fire ant pile at the starting line, and burst into tears at the starting bell as they attacked him! We brushed them off and he bravely set off running with Rich by his side to catch up to Isaac (who had waited for him). They finished together at 11:01. So proud of my boys who are best friends that stick together and work hard.
I set a New Year's Resolution to train for a 5K, and slowly and sporadically I have gotten to a point where I can at least jog that distance VERY slowly. So while the kids bundled up in the car with Grandpa, Rich & Ellie as the rain pelted outside, Katie, Dave and I decided to go ahead and face that race.

And we finished it! I jogged the whole time with squishy sneakers, making mental notes at several points of where I could run for cover if it started to hail. At a few points the visibility was so bad that I wasn't quite sure how much farther I had to go. But I just kept on plodding along and finally crossed that finish line. I came in 276th place, but I finished and had a blast running in the rain! Wahoo!

3 comments:

Lewis Family said...

You did a GREAT job! I'm so proud of you! *Big HUGS!*

Katie said...

I didn't even look up what place I came in, but I do know that you already had your ice cream by the time I crossed the line. I think that next year they should hand out the ice cream at the mile markers. It would be more fun that way. I was sooo impressed with your boys. Amazing Kids!

Aby Runyan said...

What troopers!
luvs, aby