Thursday, June 4, 2009

That's My Kid!



In the last month I've entered the realm of being an American "soccer mom," and I must say I'm exhausted. We are doing swim team for two hours every single weekday--one hour for Isaac, 45 minutes for Russell--while Graham and I watch in the heat with all the other moms. Meets start at 6 am EVERY Saturday and end around 1 pm. The swim team pretty much owns us, and I'm ashamed to say I mostly signed up because everyone else was doing it. Though I often make it a point to do the opposite of the status quo, this time I caved. We do usually ride bikes to the pool instead of the mini van, and I do my very best to not get too competitive about the whole thing, but I can't escape the fact that I have become the soccer mom. We've eaten our quota of hot dog dinners on-the-run for the next century. My house stays cleaner because we're never in it. I sit around with all the other moms and discuss sales at the store and how we get our kids to do work. I now understand why the soccer mom stereotype includes SUV's, Clorox wipes, fast food, and junk food snacks.

But don't you just love how happy Isaac looks in these photos? No photos of Russell yet (I'll have to nudge the photographer when Russell swims in the next meet), but they are both doing really well. They wanted to do swim team so they could earn the ribbons, and they have earned some. But they seem to be getting what the coach calls the "intrinsic motivation" to do their personal best apart from any competitive inclinations. Russell, who hasn't had many swim lessons in his short life, struggled a bit at first. There were tears and pleas to quit, but we stuck with it. Our friend Cheri gave Russell one private lesson on Monday, and in two days he improved so much that one of the coaches told us she thinks he's ready to move up to the next group. Even more exciting is seeing how happy he is knowing he's improved, and how much he enjoys working hard every day to get better.

My boys. Turning out all right, I guess, DESPITE all of my failings. Tender mercies.

5 comments:

Amy said...

I just love that smile! How fun to see him doing something he enjoys so much! We love you guys!

Lewis Family said...

He DOES look very happy, cute little fish.

Katie said...

What a great second picture of Isaac. You could frame that one. I am so happy that Russell is improving so fast. That kid is so cool. YEA for SOCCER MOMs (look at the bright side "coach's wife" is just a life long extension of soccer mom.)

Merinda Cutler said...

Katie, my mom already framed it and put it up in her kitchen since I posted it this morning! What I wouldn't give to have those get-it-done genes in me. . .

Alonso Family said...

Yeah for swim team! Love the pics! Way to make them stick to it, now keep that up for another 15 years or so:) My kids haven't started swim team yet since my oldest is just finally started to get the basics. However, I fully intend on getting them started once they are ready but I often wonder if I will be able to make my kids keep going if it ever gets to the point of them begging me to let them stop. How much of my dad is in me, I will just have to wait and see.