Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Death of a Delusion


Rich bought this car today. We are now a two-car family again. And I'm in mourning.

Yeah, it will be dreamy to have a car to myself, and not have to negotiate daily about who gets the car. But this luxury means the death of a dream/delusion.

You see, when we had one car, we were different. We were making a statement that the American Dream does not need to include two gas guzzling cars. We were hippies and nonconformists (or so we thought). We have bikes, and we can pedal our way all over the place. Never mind that this is Texas suburbia, which isn't all that bike-friendly. We find our own safe (circuitous) ways to get places. In theory, I can get everywhere I need to go on my bike--school, library, grocery store (never actually tried it . . .), doctor, dentist, church, Sonic (fast food carries less guilt when you burn calories to get there!).

Not to mention, the buff body of my true love, who was riding 22 miles round trip to work a few times each week. I love the concept of getting exercise outside without having to schedule it into my day or get a babysitter while I do it. Being a one-car family meant that not only did we save the money that second car would cost, but also the money we might spend on a gym membership, since we get our exercise by actually using our energy to get places. I love it that when we go out the door to go somewhere, Graham heads for the bike first, not the car.

Pride you say? Well yeah, I guess you could call it that. And lack of discipline. Both are vices.

So after much discussion over some recent life-changes (more on this later), I gave into the idea that this car is pretty much a necessity. Though only two families in our branch in India even owned a car, we need two. Though I can get most everywhere I need to go on my bike, a car in the driveway "just in case" is wise. We can serve better and carpool better this way. We can stop the marital discord that negotiating over the car can cause. We can stop relying on friends and family to bail us out when our one-car world is too small. Rich can be more successful at work with a car to get him there. We might actually guzzle less gas because I won't be dropping Rich off at work or picking him up on rainy days or late days. The disappointingly pragmatic list goes on . . .

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. We live in (suburban) America now, so after almost 1.5 years living here again, we should probably act like we're part of it. Will I continue to ride my bicycle as many places and leave that minivan in the driveway? We'll see. I hope so.

Can you hear me singing that Queen song?

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike!
I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride it where I like!

5 comments:

Katie said...

While it is still a second car...it is one of the cutest second cars I have ever seen. BEEP BEEP!! Enjoy!

Lewis Family said...

I know what you mean. Enjoy the freedom, but stick to doing what's harder! You can do it. Where are you in Texas? email me!

Aby Runyan said...

We only have one car (a minivan), and oh how I would dearly love to have a second car. Yeah we make it work with one, but only because Jeff works nights. And there have been SO many days when there is an evening activity of some kind that we cannot attend or have to fanagle a ride to get to because Jeff is working. And for his job he CANNOT ride a bike to get there!
Now that the kids are getting older, and sports, etc. are looming - I'm worried about being about to let them do those things they want to do. Like how Rome couldn't do soccer because it was in the evening and would NOT work with Jeff's schedule. That one made me feel pretty bad. Now he's still young and oblivious, but SOON he'll really know what he's missing out on.

Be grateful my dear! The Lord has seen fit to bless you with this. I'm sure He has a reason.

luvs, aby

Merinda Cutler said...

Katie, it is pretty cute, isn't it? Gutless, but cute.

April, we're in Austin. Where are you?

Aby, that's why I liked having one car . . . it forced us to simplify in so many ways--to not overschedule our kids, to eat at home, to spend more time together as a family, spend less money, etc. But already today I've been able to overcome a Scouts carpool hurdle with that blessed minivan in the driveway. You're right. I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. If only we we lived in the same town, Aby. I'd loan you my car so you could go to soccer!

Amy said...

Yeah, for cute red cars! Is it red too??? I know what you mean. When we lived in Evanston we only drove about twice a week - we walked everywhere! It was so much fun! I feel like my kiddos have forgotten how to walk...yesterday we were stopped at a light and Max said, "Why are those kids running across the street?" It was a crosswalk. So sad he's already forgotten!