Monday, May 12, 2008

Things I Miss About Living in America & Texas

Y Family
being there for smaller events
meeting new babies
visiting in smaller doses

m Privacy
not having to make pleasantries with your dishwasher
or worry about offending your minivan
or close the door every time you go potty

Z Central A/C and Heating
not having to decide every time I enter a room
if I am going to be there long enough to turn on the A/C
or remember to turn it off when I leave the room
or feel guilty because I've got A/C and heaters and
millions of people outside don't have it
and may not have power
because I'm using it all

G Nearby LDS Temples
I went to the Hong Kong Temple a few weeks ago
I could really use more spiritual feasts like that
without jet lag and expensive airline tickets and hotels

N Being Normal
would love to go somewhere and have nobody stare at me
or think I'm filthy rich or immoral
like the Americans they see on TV

Y Driving
nothing like getting in your car alone and driving
wherever you want to go
without having to explain it
or make sure your driver isn't on his lunch break

P Wide Open Spaces
sure miss road trips on freeways where you can drive fast
and don't have to dodge cars and animals and people

b Cycling
ah, to live in Blockhouse Creek again and ride bikes with my kids
to school, to the pool, to playdates, on vacations

F Drive-Thrus
sure miss the convenience of McDonald's and Wendy's
but as Rich said yesterday, at least the kids don't whine,
"Look, there's a guy cooking something in a pot under that tree!
Can we PLEEEASE stop?"

O Silence
was remembering today how jarring a car honking at you is in America
in our world you hear a car honking every few seconds
vendors shouting, generators running, fans spinning
on top of the usual kid noise endemic to young motherhood

G Public Libraries
storytime, DVDs, magazines
summer reading clubs
browsing

E Gardening
in theory I could garden, but it's really hot
and the $20/month elderly gardener is so very cute and Zen
how could I fire him?

5 comments:

Bbells said...

Merinda - I have a few questions about your trip to Tel Aviv and surrounding areas, when you have a second can you email me at brittneybellessa@gmail.com so I can see if you can answer a few questions, I would greatly appreciate it!

Brittney

Mrs. Smith said...

Amen. A million times, amen. And might I add...grocery stores.

Merinda Cutler said...

I did have Wal-Mart and Target on my list, but decided to cut them because the list was looking too heavy on the American consumerism I'm not all that proud of in myself. But we're 5 weeks away from America, and I'm already daydreaming of my first visit to HEB, my favorite Texas grocery store! Will be great to go there and know that they will have mozarella cheese every time and several brands to choose from. And ice cream in 20 flavors . . . frozen pizza . . . 70 million kinds of cereal that's not stale or triple the price . . . brownie mixes . . . lunch meat . . . frozen vegetables . . . tortillas . . . I better stop! I'm sure my body doesn't miss all of those preservatives that American grocery store brings us.

Aby Runyan said...

I'm gonna go ahead and ask an ever burning question that has been on my mind since I started reading your blog; if having all that help (driver, housekeeper, cook, etc.) is more trouble than it's worth - why have it??

Are you moving back to the States in five weeks?

luvs, aby

Merinda Cutler said...

Good questions, Aby. You always ask good ones. I'll put the answers in my next post.