Friday, May 16, 2008

Why Texas Needs The Cutlers (or the Cutlers need Texas . . .)

You know that essay contest? It ends today, and the only entrant, Mark Gurney, is the official winner. Mark, if you want to come to India in the next four weeks, we will be your happy hosts. But you might have to help us pack. I guess we could change the essay contest to "Why Texas Needs a Visit from Yours Truly," but somehow I don't think we'll have as much enthusiasm.

We know for sure now. We are going home!

Total shocker. But I'm surprised how relieved I feel. Mostly because now we at least know what's next, but also because we get to go home where things are familiar, where our family is, where we belong.

I started crying when I looked up the school lunch menu at Blockhouse Creek Elementary and saw that every single day they have something Isaac will like! How crazy is that? I'm already arranging in my head my new furniture in my old house. I'm straining to picture what will be growing in our backyard, how big the tree we planted in the front yard must be by now, how much fun my big boys will have now playing in the backyard rock garden. I'm giddy thinking about seeing Janielle and her baby anytime I feel like driving to New Braunfels or she feels like driving to Leander. And then there's the brand new Leander Ward building and the newly-formed Vista Oaks ward. Christa's baby I haven't met yet, LDS role models and friends galore. Isaac and Russell can ride their bikes to school every day, recite the Pledge of Allegiance, and observe a moment of silence for prayer every morning. It's 30 degrees cooler in Texas right now. Ahhhhh.

There are lots of big question marks. What will Rich's job be in Austin? Will we be able to fit into our old house? Will we be so shocked by the consumerism and sterility and wide open spaces and anonymity in America that we'll want to run back to India? Maybe. But this feels right today. Tomorrow will have to be dealt with tomorrow.

8 comments:

Mrs. Smith said...

Please keep blogging, at least for a little while. I will be interested to see how the culture shock works in reverse.

I will really miss your famiy. I am sure that I will be fine though, after all, I'm almost over the Jordans leaving.

Erin said...

What a relief to know where you will be living. What a neat experience your family has had living in India. I hope the culture shock isn't too bad when you return home.

Katie said...

Why Texas Needs the Cutlers!
I know what all y’all out there are thinking…Texas is sooo huge how would it know that a few of it’s faithful members were gone…Oh but it knew. A few less blue bonnets bloomed along the side of the freeway, the long horns drooped their proud heads with sorrow and the Blue Bell factory failed to realize that they should mix Mindy’s favorite of Rocky Road and Mint Chocolate Chip. But now that is all changing…the pecan trees are blooming in anticipation, the high school football players have energy for an extra 10 minutes of spring practice, and the salsa has an extra kick to it…all because the Cutlers are returning back to the land of brisket, cowboys, and pick-up trucks as the family car. We can’t wait.

Alonso Family said...

crazy stuff, lady! i doubt not that the whole thing is somewhat bittersweet for you all. it reminds me of a last minute transfer i got while in the mission. i so wasn't ready for it to happen so quickly but looking back now it definitely happend for a reason. tough stuff to deal with, though. hang in there. we'll love have you visit more often.

Merinda Cutler said...

Thanks, Katie. You're the greatest. We can't wait to stop at the Blue Bell Factory on our way to visit you! We're looking forward to coming to see a football game every once in a while. The boys will think their coach-uncle Dave is soooo cool.

Merinda Cutler said...

Amy, I will DEFINITELY keep blogging. This blog has been a lifesaver to me in figuring out India. I think it will have the same effect as I try to figure out America again and life in general. Write to learn, we used to always say in my education classes.

Blogging is a great way to keep in touch too. It makes me happy to think that I'll be able to get a great update on things in India from your skillful hand on your blog.

Oh, and Amy, you stand to inherit some chocolate chips and marshmallows, so you can have a sugar/chocolate fix for a while to cope with us being gone!

Aby Runyan said...

Whoo hoo!!
I'm so excited for you!
We'll definately have to have some sort of college reunion now that you'll be back in the states!
luvs, aby

Katie said...

Texas does need the Cutlers! I'm so glad you are coming home, and of course you will have major culture shock, but in the end it will feel right, I'm sure. It's crazy, but just being home from Australia for three weeks it suddenly starts to feel fuzzy and like an amazing, but distant, memory.

We can't wait to see you again, and you will enjoy being back in Texas with millions of choices in your grocery stores (one stop shopping!), Blue Bell ice cream, the neighborhood pool, your beautiful backyard, homemade salsa, and Chuys. What could be better, right?

Glad you are coming home. Let us know if we can do anything to help in your transition!