Tuesday, October 4, 2005

Mom's Got It Right Again


The part of conference that rings in my head today is from Susan W. Tanner's talk. She said her mother told her as a young woman to do her best to take care of herself before she walked out the door, but when she walked out the door, she needed to focus on others.

At first I thought, "Well, how do I apply that to me? I stay indoors most of the day!" But then I remembered my mom's modus operandi. Typically when we woke up Mom had already showered, dressed, put on her makeup and done her hair. I rarely do this before my kids wake up, rarely wear makeup, and on some days don't even bother to change out of my pajamas (my motto: pajamas should always be able to pass as regular clothes so you can stay in them all day without anyone knowing it!).

But Sister Tanner's talk made me wonder if a better approach to my stay-at-home-mom-ness is to take the time each morning for myself (reading scriptures, praying, making myself beautiful), and then walk out of my room equipped to serve my family with all my heart. The older I get the more I realize Mom had it figured out better than I realized!

No comments: