Tuesday, October 11, 2005

On My Own in Paris


I wasn't so sure how I'd do Monday all on my own with my very minimal French (I kept lapsing into Spanish anytime I tried to communicate!) and a baby on my back, but I was ready to try!

Rich had meetings Monday, so Graham and I went to the Louvre and wandered around looking at the paintings. Unfortunately, the artist I most wanted to see, Vermeer, was in the section that was closed for the day. But I did see the Mona Lisa. There were crowds of people, so I didn't get a good look. Nothing spectacular to report there.

My favorite part of the museum were the art students in the galleries painting copies and/or interpretations of the works of art. It was fun to sit and watch them in their craft in various stages, and see what sort of people go to school to be artists. Surprisingly, many of them seemed to be of retirement age. Maybe I could learn to be a painter someday . . .

When Graham and I tired of the Louvre, we went outside and found a lovely spot on the grass in the sun and took a nap. Then we wandered through the Jardin de Tulieres with its ponds, ducks, flowers, and outdoor cafes. Then we took a walk down the Champs Elysees.

No comments: